Search This Blog

Friday, September 3, 2010

9-3-10 Microscope came today!!

So I was relaxing at home after the cable guys left, and the UPS guy walks up to the door with a package for me.  I got my new LED jeweler's loupes and my digital microscope.   Below are a few samples of new images.
80 Mesh screened sand


Sample image of sand after 80 mesh screening.  This sample is in a glass vial under the highest magnification I could manage on first attempt.  This sample came from Seneca Creek in Mont. Co. MD.






Moss growing on Quartz

This image is of Moss growing on an uncleaned Quartz sample from Seneca Creek in Mont. Co. MD.  I was surprised that it was there because I hadn't seen it with the naked eye!






Brazilian Emerald in Black Mica

Brazilian Emerald in Black Mica from a purchase Stacy and I made.  Ebay is a wonderful thing.  We purchased roughly 1200 carats of these for practice and tumbling.  They were oil treated, but i wanted natural so I soaked in soapy water for two days to get the oil out.





Carnelian inclusion on Quartz (?)

This is one of the most interesting samples I have acquired in MD so far.  Found in a stream as a larger rock, I broke it open looking for gold inclusions and found what i believe is Carnelian.  Many of the local rocks have Magnetite inclusions, and Iron Oxide is very common within them.  I might be wrong, especially with the formation of crystals.  I am going to pass this image along to a more knowledgable friend for confirmation.




  These are the first four decent captures I have so far.  Many more to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment